Sunday 3 February 2008

Mountain view from my room

It was very strange (in a good way) to wake up this morning on my day off, open the curtains to a nice sunny day, and see some... mountains! This is the from my small balcony, and you can see mountains on either side of the building:


The reasons I haven't noticed that I can see mountains from my hotel room window after 3.5 weeks of living here are because:

1) There's a fair bit of pollution in Almaty, and because of its position sitting below the Tian Shan mountain range to the south (which separates Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan) it doesn't get much wind, so the haze and smoke can settle for days and makes the visibility poor.

2) There haven't been that many sunny clear days since I've arrived, although this is supposed to change after winter.

3) When there have been sunny days with good visibility, I've probably opened my curtains without looking closely.

No comments: