Monday 4 February 2008

More Kazakhstan in the news

The Air Astana office where I work is adjacent to the airport. Last week, when I was to the place where I catch a shuttle back to my hotel, there were some black tinted-window SUVs speeding around, and I wondered what was going on.

One of the pilots said former US President Bill Clinton was in Almaty for a visit, which I thought was unlikely since he is currently busy playing "attack dog" in Hillary's presidential campaign. However, perhaps it's possible, for the NYT reported he helped Canadian mining financier Frank Giustra secure an extremely lucrative deal for tapping uranium deposits during a hastily arranged trip to Almaty in 2005, which both men denied until this article called their bluff. Surprisingly (not), after this deal was secured, Guistra donated generously ($31 million) to The Clinton Foundation...

Hillary was asked about her husband's suspect Kazakhstan visit, and here's her response.

In other news, the US has just made a military deal with Kazakhstan, and Russia will not be pleased.

No comments: