Monday 3 December 2007

Coming Soon: Brett in Kazakhstan

In the previous post I mentioned I might have a job teaching English in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Well, it didn't happen as soon as I thought it would, but it looks like it will happen!

I'm awaiting the paperwork, but it definitely sounds like a go. I'd be working for a school based in Ireland that has a contract to teach English to the non-native English-speaking pilots working for Air Astana, Kazakhstan's national airline. I'll be one of their Subject Matter Experts (SME), as I've got an education/background in aviation. I'll mostly be teaching English but in an aviation context, and then I'll be creating lesson materials for about a third of the time. Additionally, I'll travel to Beijing, China and Dubai, UAE to teach at their other schools when needed.

I've been reading voraciously about Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Central Asia, and it sounds really interesting. I've got a really good feeling about it and I think I'll like it. And whether I do or not, it's a great opportunity and exactly what I was hoping to do when I started teaching English. It feels like a new adventure is starting, and I've always wanted to travel more in my work.

The downside to taking this job is that I would be away from Edinburgh for a long time. Joanna has been 100% supportive, but we have been going through some soul searching of our own, and what we want in the future as a partnership.

Recently we've decided to separate, as we are both looking at future possibilities that may not be compatible. We want all of our friends and family to know that we still love each other very much, and we're simply giving each other some time and space to explore some things on our own. And while we'll miss each other, we do feel that this separation is necessary, and if we decide to get back together in the future we'll be the better for it.

4 comments:

suroush said...

Hi Brett,

I read your blog and all sounds very interesting. The same irish school has mentioned to me about the same opportunity to teach in kazakstan with the same airline. i was just wondering if you had anymore information on when you expect to start and the terms and conditions that will go with it. i too have an aviation background and see this as a great opportunity. i would appreciate any information you have on this opportunity

Very interested to hear your thoughts,

Regards,

Suroush

ErinOrtlund said...

Sounds like a great opportunity Brett!

While I don't know you all that well, or the ins and outs of your situation, I just want to say I truly hope this separation is a temporary one. I really believe you each found a treasure in each other! Love you both, Erin

billy bOb blOOdwOrth said...

Hello Brett,

I'm thinking about moving to Edinburgh with my scottish girlfriend. I'm from Austin Texas, she's from Edinburgh. We both teach English in Taiwan right now. I have never been to Europe and don't know what to expect. Your blog reinforces all of the good things I've heard about Edinburgh. Any advice on jobs? Teaching / publishing / dishwashing?

Thanks,

Bob

K said...

Hi Brett,

I know internet access is infrequent in KZ since a friend of mine is in the Peace Corps near Astana. I was wondering if you care to converse with me about any info you know about getting work visas for private tutoring or after job sponsorship. I am planning to visit my friend and desire to teach english in KZ..

Thanks
Kienan
kienan.almeida @ gmail.com