Tuesday 30 October 2007

Teaching English

Where does the time go? This summer sure went fast... and I've obviously been horrible at updating my blog! Sorry 'bout that...

Anyhow, I had a great summer in Edinburgh and a very enjoyable time teaching English. I've improved my teaching and have met many great people from around the world. I do think I've found a career I will find interesting and rewarding for the foreseeable future, which is a great feeling.

One thing that teaching English as a foreign language (in Edinburgh and elsewhere) often lacks is 1) a good livable pay rate, and 2) reliable year-round available teaching hours. When I decided to switch careers to teaching English, my strategy was to get around a year's experience in "general" English first, but ultimately I planned to specialize in Aviation English (teaching pilots and air traffic controllers whose first language is not English), thereby leveraging my past aviation knowledge/experience - and thereby making more money, having more flexibility, travel, etc. I was hoping I could find an Aviation English position for the autumn/winter...

And, I might have found one! Nothing's been promised or signed yet, but I've tentatively agreed to teach pilots in Almaty, Kazakhstan for Kazakhstan's national airline Air Astana. I still don't know all of the details yet, so it's too early to count my chickens, but I'm very excited about the opportunity... more info to come!

No comments: