Saturday 12 January 2008

Here I am in Kazakhstan

I made it! Since I arrived here early Wednesday (Jan 8th) things have been quite hectic and a bit of a blur. I’ve got my first day off on Sunday, then on Monday the 14th (which just happens to be my 40th birthday) I’ll have to wake up early to board a 6:15am flight to Astana, the capital, and I’ll teach there Monday and Tuesday, returning to Almaty Tuesday evening.

Tonight there is a party for all Air Astana employees which should be an interesting time. (Even though I’m contracted through a school in Ireland, Air Astana are essentially my employer, and we teach in their office adjacent to the airport). Apparently they happen only a few times a year, and they’re a big deal, so I guess I’m fortunate to arrive when I did. It's being held at some fancy-schmancy venue downtown. Interestingly, no spouses/partners are allowed at the party, which should make things especially interesting as the (free) liquor flows and the night progresses.

I’ll write more about my impressions later, and try to take a few photos with my new camera I got as a birthday present (thanks Jo), but for now I’m at work and should get back to my lesson planning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 40th, Brett!

An American in Kazakhstan said...

Why thank you, D! :)